Pages

Thursday, September 6, 2012

Piratey Things

So we are doing a small unit on pirates this week and therefore we did a few 'piratey" things.

We completed our pirate glyph and the kids did really well, they handled it better than I anticipated and we got through it pretty quickly!



Cute right?
We also did a" look back on our summer" activity, and I entitled it "Summer, Ho!"(it was the most piratey title I could come up with). The students were given a spyglass, and had to draw a picture of something they did this summer. Then they had to write their name, what they did and a detail about what they did. Some really "got it" and others.....not so much....


I am thinking of having the kids create a wanted poster as though they are pirates wanted for some crime or other....but we'll see.

We have also read many Pirate books, which the kids have loved.
Some favourites:
Small Saul
Fluffy: Scourge of the Sea
Pirate Pearl
Pirates Go to School

The kids are enjoying it, it really fires their imagination and increase their excitement level for school. It's been a fun break  from Frogs for me as well, and I may do it again next year, unless I see something awesome on Pinterest! haha

3 comments:

  1. So awesome! I really like the letters you used for "Pirate Glyphs" on your wall! I have neer seen any like that around the school. I bet the kids LOVED making their glyphs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun. Such awesome ideas! You're so creative!

    ReplyDelete